Monday, January 13, 2014

Vintage Toys- Rhiney the Rhino

Vintage Toys 1- rhino


This is Rhiney Jr. He is a pink rhinoceros in a Hawaiian shirt, and yes, he's a boy. Rhiney Jr. is the relative to my former childhood best friend: Rhiney. You can barely tell the difference between the two. This Christmas my mom surprised Nora (me) with this toy. Mine was lost over the years so she decided to track down another one so Nora could have one too.  I have a bit of an obsession with vintage toys. I think it's the nostalgia of seeing something that used to bring me so much joy as a child, and imagining that my own daughter could feel that same joy. If you saw Nora's nursery tour last week you would have seen the bear perched on a shelf that belonged to my mother in law as a child. This was the first very special vintage toy she received. I want to create a collection of items Nora can cherish for years to come. I'm thinking of making this into a segment here on my blog. I will be posting each time I add to the collection. This Fisher Price rhino from the 1980's must have been popular because she didn't seem to have any trouble finding one. I don't think everything else I'm interested in will be as easy to find, but the hunt is part of the fun! Thrift stores: here I come. 



No comments:

Post a Comment